The structure of UNIDEE - University of Ideas is articulated through three types of activities investigating the relationship between art and public sphere:
- Weekly residential modules taking place at Cittadellarte, open to students (who can gain ECTS credits), professionals, activists as well as members of society. They are held by mentors who are experts on the three broad thematic areas chosen each year and examined in depth through participatory practices and a multidisciplinary approach.
- Residency programmes for international artists at Cittadellarte.
- Connective Residency at Cittadellarte.
- Weekly residential modules at Cittadellarte: a programme of seminars and laboratories open to students, professionals, social entrepreneur, activists and members of society, developed following a participatory teaching format, based on collective debates and knowledge exchange between mentor and participants. The modules draw some of their core case studies from Geographies of Change, a participatory online archive collecting and interlinking organisations active in the fields of governance and policy-making, alternative economic models, urban systems, environment, education and communication.
Mentors are often former UNIDEE residents, participants to visible project and to ARTInRETI platforms, ambassadors for Third Paradise, Cittadellarte’s current and past associates. Amongst the new collaborators, scholars and researchers, curators, cultural operators, agents of change within specific territorial realms.
Aimed at delving into three broad thematic areas, which represent the first lemmas for the construction of a Triennal (2015-2017) Shared Collective Vocabulary of Ideas on Cittadellarte’s Art and Social Responsible Transformation, developed across UNIDEE - University of Ideas’ educational programme. This Vocabulary intends to make available the theoretical and project materials used by the mentors and the speakers, and produced by the participants throughout the weekly modules.
- Residency programmes at Cittadellarte for international artists, organised in collaboration with institutional partners, e.g. RESO’ network, A. M. QattanFoundation (Palestine), Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation (India), Fundación Museos de la Ciudad (Ecuador), Yarat Contemporary Art Space (Azerbaijan), aiming at educating and producing.
During their stay at Cittadellarte the artists are accompanied along an educational path based on an in-depth analysis of specific issues in relation to a responsible social transformation. A flexible programme encompassing debate series, meetings with curators, artists and social entrepreneurs, experts’ studio visits, conferences with guests, visits to exhibitions and places relevant to the themes discussed, etc., will be the companion to this residential journey. In terms of production, the residency aims at facilitating the creation of new projects for exhibitions, events, public debates, publications etc.
- Connective Residency at Cittadellarte: launched in 2015, this residency programme of six months is open to Italian and international artists and collectives interested in exploring and expanding the themes of social responsible transformation, selected by direct invitation as well as via open call. The aim is to establish active “connections” between the resident artists’ own practices and the content and dynamics brought forth by the weekly residential modules and all relevant project activities developed within Cittadellarte.
The invited artists who took part in the Connective residency are: Andrea Caretto and Raffaella Spagna (2015); Leone Contini (2016); Mattia Paco Rizzi (2017).