Cultures of Solidarity Studio Program _ For Your Freedom and Ours | open call & selected residents
UUNIDEE Residency Programs and Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto are pleased to announce an open call for a six-month research residency for two Ukrainian artists for the “Cultures of Solidarity Studio Program” curated by Silvia Franceschini.
“For Your Freedom and Ours'' is a historical slogan used by a group of Soviet dissidents protesting against the invasion of Czechoslovakia and in support of the Prague Spring on the Red Square in Moscow in 1968. The phrase, which later became popular within dissident movements, calls attention to the importance of solidarity and how our personal freedom depends on the freedom of others.
The Cultures of Solidarity Studio Program is meant to provide support to artistic communities of Ukraine whose members have been affected by Russia's war of aggression in Ukraine. It will offer artists, curators and cultural practitioners space and time free from danger, oppression and censorship, to continue developing their work.
At the same time, the program aims to create a platform for collective thinking on what it means to operate as an artist at a time of war, how socially and politically engaged practices can carve a space of imagination, and how minor histories of resistance help to challenge existing structures of power through the mobilization of solidarity across differences.
In 1999 Michelangelo Pistoletto founded Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto’s programme of artists’ residencies for art and social transformation. The programme is open to artists and professionals from all over the world and it aims at providing instruments for “artivators”, i.e. subjects working at the boundaries between artistic practices, processes of social change and collaborations with communities external to the art world, weaving together moments of interdisciplinary research, exchange of knowledge and practical activities. The objective of the programme is to provide the participants with the inspiration, motivation and instruments to activate, develop or strengthen artistic initiatives based on the involvement of local ecologies.
More info: www.cittadellarte.it/unidee/
Building on several decades of experience, we offer a Research Residency to two Ukrainian practitioners at our Foundation supported by Compagnia di San Paolo.
The Research Residency is a residency created to support the practice of emerging artists with a situated and embedded practice.
Throughout their stay at Cittadellarte, the resident is guided along a process based on the investigation of specific aspects linked to a responsible transformation of society, through debates and meetings with curators, artists and civil society practitioners, studio visits by experts, and visits to exhibitions and places relevant to the themes linked to their research.
In terms of production, the residency is not output-based and the aim is to support the research of the selected candidate. The residency will end with a public open studio at Cittadellarte (possibly also in Turin) organised for the group of residents.
Furthermore, during their stay at Cittadellarte the selected artists will have the opportunity to engage and share their research time with other artists in residency in Cittadellarte in the context of other Unidee Programs, as well as students of Cittadellarte Academy of fine arts also “Unidee Academy” and artists, curators, activists, designers, entrepreneurs, farmers, scientists, public and private managers and scholars working and collaborating with Cittadellarte.
Residency date: 6 September 2023 - 1 March 2024
The six month long residency offered through this joint grant includes:
• Travel expenses for coming to Italy;
• Per diem of 3.000€ gross;
• Insurance (travel and medical insurance for accidents) and visa fees;
• 6 months' stay at Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto: single room in our premises shared with other international residents – inclusive of cleaning services, use of shared studio space and workshop facilities;
• Based on the research of the selected residents, expert visits, curatorial meetings, networking sessions will be organised;
• Study and research trips will be organised with the residents group to Venice, Turin and Milan to engage with the international art scene in Italy (hotel, food and travel are covered by the grant);
• A budget for project production and communication, translations (amount tbc);
• If the resident is interested and has a research related to the theme of the UNIDEE modules programme curated by Chiara Cartuccia: Neither on Land nor at Sea. Meeting by the Mediterranean Im/Possible may request to participate.
• You are a Ukrainian citizen who has been affected by the current emergency situation; who still lives in Ukraine or who has had to leave the country;
• The residency is open to emerging practitioners (artists, curators, writers, activists, cultural practitioners, etc) from different backgrounds and with different practices in the fields of socially engaged art and social practice, curatorial practice and community organisation;
• You have a fluent knowledge of the English language.
The submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by a jury consisting of representatives UNIDEE / Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto and the residency curator Silvia Franceschini who will then select a shortlist of candidates to be interviewed before releasing the final results (date tbc).
Final results will be released by the 21st July 2023.
To apply please fill in the form at this link: https://form.jotform.com/231444085628357
Deadline for submissions: Sunday, 9th July 2023.
Only digital submissions are accepted.